“Along with Summer’s blue skies, you might experience ‘The Summertime Blues.’
You’re probably thinking, “Man, I can’t wait for summer to get here and maybe I can catch a break, or go on vacation, get off of routine a little, and start that summer project with no interruption. Etc etc.” Then only a little bit into Summer, you may find yourself zapped. The getaway is over, or you might even realize that you won’t be able to get away as planned.
That routine you had going? Well, it might be shot by now since you got off of it weeks ago and can’t get back on. Or even still, you picked up another routine that you now realize you’re stuck again. That project you tackled at the beginning of summer? It’s lost its luster and we just don’t feel like tackling it with the same zip we had in the beginning.
Summer for most of us, signals a time to let go a little bit. Maybe you’ve been going hard all year, balancing work, family, and training, and now you’re feeling a bit burnt out. But fear not! With a little bit of discipline and planning, you can beat those blues and make the most out of your summer months. So go ahead and do what you want to do, but don’t forget to take care of your mind, body, and spirit.
Here are a few things to consider to make your summer months worth its wait in rest, recovery, and fun, without losing yourself in the process.
- This summer’s for YOU: First things first, reprioritize your routine towards YOU! Yes, you heard that right. It’s time to put yourself first and take care of your own needs. Wake up a little earlier than the rest of the family and start your day with some much-needed self-care. Whether it’s a breathing exercise routine, a refreshing glass of citrus water in peace, or a WOD, it’s your time to focus on yourself and your well-being.
- Move differently: Try switching your class time at the academy. If you can, attend an early morning class, or a midday class instead of the night classes. And vice versa. You’ll find new faces on the mat, and experience a fresh change in routine.
- Know that - you can do this: Set realistic goals for the Summer dynamic. Although you should be disciplined in your approach to a goal you set, look at your entire calendar for the next three months and plan accordingly. This way, if you have that weekend getaway lined up, you won’t be disappointed if you have to step away from your project. Unlike in the new year, the summer might bring about impromptu routes. Be ok with it, but get back on routine as soon as you can.
- Mat swap: If you’re into Muay Thai, why not try out some BJJ classes? Or maybe take a FitCamp or a Boxing for Fitness class. All of our classes complement and supplement each other, so mix it up and have some fun.
- Forgive yourself: As I said in the beginning, Summer signals a time to reset, relax and unwind. But it’s also easy to fall into the rut of those same things. Forgive yourself, just get back on track and enjoy the ride.
Proper planning goes a long way. So, make sure to make plans for YOU too. And what better way to stay accountable and have fun than by joining our monthly 30-day challenge? We have a new challenge every month to help you push yourself further than you ever thought possible. Join us and take advantage of the summer to continue to EVOLVE into the best version of yourself!
So, let’s beat those Summertime Blues together and make the most out of our summer months. Happy Summer 2023, Evolve Family!